28 February 2010

Rock'n'Roll Mardi Gras 1/2 Marathon

This past weekend I made a short, but jamb packed, trip to New Orleans. Leaving at midnight Friday and returning to San Francisco midnight on Sunday. This was all for our second annual New Orleans 1/2 marathon. Yes, I have friends just as crazy and athletic as me.

When i arrived Saturday morning we did quick jump over to the runners expo where we grabbed some free samples which included two wrist bands. One band was for free PF Changs (goodies offered after the race) and another wrist band for MGD (2 free cans of Miller Geniun Draft after the race). After that we physically and mentally prepared ourselfs by drinking bloody marys and walking around the French quarter. After a day of hanging we headed back to our lovely, and gracious hostest, laura's house. If you ever met Laura, she's da bomb! Really one of the nicest, caring and fun people you'd ever met. She hosted 7 of us at her place. We all cooked some spaghetti, salad and bread for a little carb loading for our "last meal".

Sunday morning we got all ready and headed into the kitchen to some nice Jack Jonson playing (music on the boombox) and bananas for breakfast. Good start. We were dropped off and we all split up to head to our corralls ( yes we are considered cows at these things). Some checked in bags, some went to the start line, and I headed to the port-a-potty of death. I won't continue with that story.

Off we go! 4 of the 5 of us ran under 2 hours! The fifth is a new commer to running and finished right after 2 hours. Needless to say I have some athletic friends :) I persoanlly ran a 1:50:49. 5 minutes off my best, but my next run I promise to beat it.

Speaking of next run, it's up in the air for now but we are considering running the Rock'n'roll CHICAGO half marathon on august 1st. I'll let you know if we finalize those details but everyone seemed pretty psyched about the idea.

Anyway, flying back to SF as I type. Legs getting more sore by the moment...

No comments: