03 February 2009

Sickly Marathon

Sunday's race was a sham... I flew all the way to New Orleans to run a race I couldn't run. I ended up getting a horrible stomach bug and hugged the pocelain god for an hour or so the night before. Thank goodness my dad was willing to get up and chat with me on the phone while I struggled through the night. I ended up only running 1/2 of the marathon because I felt so dehydrated and tired. It was the slowest I have run for a 1/2 and I had a lingering headache for the rest of that day and the next. This was not what I had been training for and am bummed that after all the training I'm exhausted and need to take another break before I begin to train for a marathon again.

Otherwise, I got to see some great friends and explored a city I have never been to. I visited the 9th ward where one of the levys broke. What I saw almost brought tears to my eyes. There were no delapitated buildings, no debry lying around or people even working vigorously to rebuild new homes, all I saw was a desert of concrete foundations. It was the most eerie site I have ever seen. It really makes you want to get out there and start putting that place together.

Laura(my friend I stayed with) lives in the French Quarter so we were able to visit that part of town by foot and then she drove us around to the other neighborhoods. It's a great city, music playing everwhere and in need of a really good wash down :) We tried some great restaurants- creole, spanish, something great and another something great (types seem to slip my mind at the moment). The streets with all of the gallerys tempted my wallet as I walked by. I had a wonderful time and hope to visit again soon. Thanks again Laura!

I'll post pics a liitle later on.

No comments: