So, as some of you know Brendan, my cousin from Maryland, came to visit me this past weekend. It was so great to see him, it had probably been a few (too many) years. He has recently graduated from Towsend University and is spending his summer adjusting and thinking about his future:) Selfishly, I invited him out to SF to coax him into joining me and my liberal life out here. Bren, arrived on Thursday around 2pm to beautiful, clear, San Francisco skies and the start to an amazingly warm weekend. He picked the most perfect weekend (weather wise) to come visit.
Thursday: Walked down Polk St. (populated with good eateries and random shops), enjoyed some sushi and Saki, then headed down to Ghiradelli square and Fisherman's wharf. While in fisherman's wharf a street performer decided to harass Bren and shine his shoes - Bren did a little quick step and we were out of there! While walking down on the water we came across a Bay Cruise. Let me tell you - an hour later, slightly damp - best $15 ever spent! It was so much fun, we got to see a whole slew of kite-sailors, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz. Joining us on the boat cruise were two drunk bums (not sure why they were there, but it was entertaining) and a bunch of tourists (like ourselves). After the tour, we grabbed some hot chocolate to warm ourselves up and headed back to my apt.
Friday: I had to head to work for half of the day on Friday and a job interview later, so Bren was a great sport to hang out (go for a jog, find a cafe and took a little walk - a city boy already!) while I was doing my grown-up business. Later on Bren and I walked around China town (but due to some whacked out reason, everything closes at 7pm in this city) and searched and searched for a place to eat. We FINALLY found a great Vietnamese place where we slathered our meals with Sriracha (best Thai hot sauce ever!) :) Then we went to a comedy show at the SF Comedy School, it was great, many laughs and next time we'll have to remember to bring out own beer (that's how it works, they supply the comedy, we supply the beer, great concept).
Saturday: We ventured over to the famous SF Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building. The farmer's market has the most glorious fruits, vegetables, cheeses, nuts, breads, etc. Bren and I enjoyed some breakfast and a nice walk through the whole market, picking up some fresh fruit :) After our little Market adventure we headed over to the Golden Gate bridge where the fog had already consumed the area and made walking the bridge very windy and cold. We had lots of fun taking pictures but were totally ready to head back to my neck of the woods, where it was a little sunnier. We cooked up some salmon, rice and some awesome spinach courtesy of Bren - he's a fabulous cook :) That evening Bren and I did a little bar hoping and met up with a friend of mine and a bunch of her friends.
Sunday: Bren and I headed down to the Mission to a little Rock street festival, that was more of a block "party" with a band at each end. Im thinking it wasn't really Brens type of music, so we headed out for breakfast/lunch to a great place called "craigs cafe" which Bren called, "crucial", Im thinking that was good:) I'd go back again. After that we proceeded to visit all the neighborhoods that made up San Francisco so Bren could get a feel for the city and is able to recognize the city and what its made up a little more. We visited the Mission, Hayes Valley, Haight/Ashbury and visited Alamo Square where the Full House houses are located. Upon getting home I realized I had locked us out of my apt (long story, I had a senile moment) and Bren was able to figure out I had a window open and crawled through and let us in - he saved the day! Since it was Bren's last night we hung out, talked, drank some beers and packed for his pick up at 5am Monday morning to head to the airport. It was a lot of fun having Bren visit me - I hope he considers getting a job out here (hint, hint, wink, wink)
No comments:
Post a Comment